Monday, February 27, 2012

Cagiloaloa Fiji

Hello, My name is Cagiloaloa, I was born on the island of vanua levu in Fiji, my parents where always very poor and they could never afford for me to go to school, but I wanted to go to school. I then applied for a job at a boxing arena, sweeping and cleaning the floors, one day after the boxers where done training, the coach asked me if I wanted to fight. He was joking with me and insulting me for not wanting to try, but then coach said that he would not hurt me, so I felt welcome. The coach told me to punch his palms as hard as I could, I swung my right fist over my shoulder into the mans fingers I broke all four of his fingers. The man screamed in pain, and kneeled down in a fetal position, then he started to get up slowly, he had a smile on his face, and he was laughing, he then said in Aborigine. Boy, your fists are meant to be that of a boxers, once you get old enough I will coach you in the ring. I thought of all of the opportunities I would get becoming a real live boxer! Boxers made alot of money in Fiji, so once I got of age I started training with coach; he mentioned how he once tried out for the olympics, and how I should attempt this too. I did not know what the olympics where, but once he told me of the lights, the people, and the places he traveled, I knew that I was to become Fiji's prized boxer, a man to bring out true pride within these small islands. By this time, I had enough money to go to school, I took shcool for 12 years, each day I went to school, I kept thinking of the olympics, and of the story coach told me. But school was very fun also, my parents where very proud of my ambitions and my goals, after the 11th grade, walking home I found that my parents weren't home, there was a pink sheet on the door, which I could not read, as I learned native languages during school and this was written in what I thought to be english. My parents came home soon after, they told me that we had to move to Australia and that their house was due payment that they couldn't afford. I did not want to move to Australia, I told myself I would make Fiji a proud country, I thought of an idea, that I could pay off my parents rent with they money I was saving to travel to the olympic games. My house was saved, 3 years after I graduated from high level school, at the time, I still didn't have enough money to travel to the Athens games of 2004, I tried to think of a way I could enter the games, but nothing came up, I hoped that the next games would be closer and easier to travel too. 4 years after the games, China was announced to be the new holder of the games, this was perfect and I had extra money left over to pay for more things. I first had to go to the olympic building in fiji to see if I could participate, I was very confident that I could, and I made it! I was so excited, I had to rush home to tell my parents I was going to China, they where excited and wished they could come too, but I knew they couldn't. Going on an airplane for the first time was very fun, but very scary, the ride was bumpy and I felt like we where falling most of the time, once we arrived at Beijing, my first match was against a man from Australia, he punched me with his right arm in the gut, I was not used to this kind of pressure before, the hit did not faze me though, I thought of Fiji and my parents and then the pressure went away, I was back in the game, I punched him in the side of the face, my glove was covered in spit and little droplets of blood, I then preceeded with an uppercut punch, revealing the mans stomach, unguarded, I felt a little revenge and broke through his soft muscle, sending him aback, unconscious. A match was never this easy in my life. The next man was an American man, I always was astonished watching the olympic games, and seeing all of the Americans winning the medals, I thought it was unfair, and that one country did not deserve so many medals. I was more fearfull of this boxer than the last, solely because he was an American, he was taller than me, but did not weigh as much, I looked into his eyes, not realizing that his fist was headed straight towards my face, I fell over, lifted into the air by the mans punch. Now looking at his body, I could see that the man was far bigger than I thought, but I wasn't about to let Fiji down, my parents where probably watching me fight on the television at this instant! Adrenaline once again hit me, I punched the man in both arms trying to weaken his powerful punches, with no ado, It seemed each time I bunched his body, his punches got stronger and stronger. I hadn't realized that my nose was bleading until he socked me in the face with a right hook, I staggered, trying to keep my feet on the ground, ready for his next attack. But my face was in pain, I felt my nose and realized that it was twisted side-ways, I moaned in pain, eyes watering trying to identify the large american, but something reminded me of coach and how he laughed at me braking his fingers, all four of them. I started to laugh too, each time he punched me, I chuckled a little, the man started to get angry, wondering why I wasn't in pain, his punches where harder. But I felt none of his punches, I felt the people of Fiji, cheering me on, back in my homeland, I hurled my right arm back over my shoulder, stepped forward and rocketed a punch straight into his jaw. I felt nothing when I punched him, all I felt was air, Looking around, I saw that the man was behind me, and that my vision was getting worse, he must have injured one of my eyes. I saw his left arm reaching back for a finishing blow, I turned around fast, then moving slightly to the left, and powering forward into the man, who's left arm had already passed by my body, I lifted my left arm, which felt heavy and pushed it into the skull of the man, he staggered back for a while, tipping and turning, he and I where both incredibly exhausted. Finally the man fell with a great thump followed by exhilerated cheering, I heard someone calling Cagiloaloa! I looked into the crowd and saw the faces of my parents within the audience! I rushed to them, bloody and in tears, hugged them and could not let go, my dad grabbed hold of me, crying too, and told me that I still had several matches to win, but that match was just too much for me, I felt like had conquered the world. During my seventh match, I had finally lost, but I did not care in the least bit, I had won six matches and that was enough for me. The plane ride home was long but I couldn't stop thinking of my parents, and the islands of Fiji, getting home the islands looked incredibly beautiful from up high, I never realized how gorgeous of a country I had been living in this whole time, I wanted to swim, to climb the trees, like I did as a child, to ride a bike, to ride a car even, to fish, to hunt, to dance, I wanted to do it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment